Friday, October 15, 2021

Half-way Mark

 







I can’t even begin to believe that we are halfway through this class and the very last semester of my undergraduate degree. It feels like I should still be a freshman in college going through the introduction classes of my major and minors. I feel like I have learned a lot throughout this semester and yet when I try to grasp the recently learned information, I can’t for the life of me even begin to describe what that information is exactly! I blame it on senioritis. I learned in this class that evolution is such a broad concept that I probably will never truly grasp every single part under this umbrella term. I remember being in the fourth week of the semester and having evolution and natural selection just click in my head. I had always had a decent understanding of these concepts, but it just never really clicked in any of my science classes until now. A part of me felt stupid for it taking 4+ years to get to this point but another part of me was proud of myself for getting to where I am.

If I go back to my original post, I don’t think I would change anything about my definition of evolution just yet. I am expecting that to change by the end of the semester. But, I feel like my definition was broad enough to allow what I have learned thus far to fall under the original definition. My understanding hasn’t really changed. I have just come to the conclusion that I don’t know everything about evolution yet.

I am struggling more so with R exercises than the concepts we are learning in class. It’s very irritating because it’s not something I have ever done before and may not ever do again in my academic career. I just have to learn to be patient with the exercises and myself and know that it’s okay to ask for help.

I am curious about COVID-19 and what makes these strains of the coronavirus any different than what we have seen before. Why is it that some bodies have a difficult time identifying this virus as dangerous and not reacting quick enough to fight back? I want to learn more about how evolution affects everyday life that I would have an easy time relating to as a college student studying science. It’s hard to understand concepts if you don’t have anything to relate them to in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Module 12 Prompt

 Module 12:  Reflection Prompt   Cardiovascular Disease: Coronary Artery Disease 20160413-strong-heart-art.jpg (1640×1159) (chicagohealt...